My first sticker - Getting started with the vinylcutter¶
|kids 8 to 11
|Digital Design, Vinyl cutter
Introduction and context¶
Getting Started with the vinyl cutter is part of the after-school program “Poderosas”, led by Fab Lab Leon, that brings digital fabrication skills to girls from 7 to 11 age.
“My first sticker” is the first activity of the poderosas program and it can be held as a stand alone two hour workshop for kids .
This activity is the basis for the next activities related to textiles, for example “Customize your backpack” or “Make your modular garment” where the girls need to design their own creations.
This activity can be developed in a “step by step” format where a PowerPoint is projected on a TV. The kids will use the open source software Inkscape to learn how to vectorize images. The facilitator will also teach how to customize the Inkscape App so that kids can also change the language at the beginning.
The recommendation is that the girls can follow the PowerPoint at the same time that they are designing the sticker.
The activity aims at introducing participants to computer design using open source software . The purpose of the learning activity is to generate interest about digital design and make the girls capable of making designs on their own at their homes.
- Understand how to customize and use the Inkscape software
- Learn how to convert a pixelated image into a vector
- Understand how to prepare a file to send to the vinyl cutter
- Make a vinyl sticker
- Get introduced to possible projects that can be done with digital design and Vinyl cut
Target audience and context of use
Kids, families, educators with interest in learning digital design with open source software and making.
You can run the activity in different places where girls can have access to a computer.
The ideal number for each group is 8-10 kids. One instructor is needed for each group
Preparation and materials¶
Dive into the slides presentation provided in this page. Be sure that the software is installed in all the computers, and prepare vinyl of different colors to make the stickers. It is also recommended to have pre-cut stickers with the designs given in the presentation so that the girls can train peeling off the stickers while the vinyl cutter is cutting the customized ones.
Check you have all the tools and materials needed and that you will have time to wrap up your tools, set up the logistics for the event room.
Prepare in advance:
- Pre Cut stickers
- Scissors (keep in mind to have scissors for left-handed people)
- Tweezers for peeling the stickers
- Masking tape for transfering the sticker
- Ruler, pencils… girls know how to use these tools everywhere
Equipment, Tools and Materials
- Computers, tables, chairs
- TV to present the PowerPoint
- 1 computer for participant
- Wood color pencils
- Colored markers
- Masking tape
- Masking tape (Transfer paper)
- Vinyl (Different colors)
Step by Step Instructions¶
STEP BY STEP overview
- Task Bar > Inkscape
- Menu > Edit > Preferences > Interface
- Menu > File > Import
- Menu > Path > Trace Bitmap
- Update > Ok
- Click and drag
- Vector vs pixels
- Click and drag
Safety rules & Tips
- Provide special scissors for left handed girls
- For the younger girls and short time it is better to have pre cut stickers
Presentation for the class
Flyer for participants
List of materials<
Always consider to find local providers.
|Vinilo y Transfer
Licence and credits¶
Attribution — ShareAlike CC BY-SA This activity has been designed by Nuria Robles for shemakes.eu. It is based on tMa Foundation and Fab Lab León´s learning experiences methodology focused on Poderosas activities.
Related and supporting activities/modules
It can be combined with the other topics within the Industry 4.0 Package of Fabricademy.